Under the Willow Tree

When I was young, I lived in the small town of Huacalera, high in the Andes Mountains of Argentina, where the only large trees were weeping willows and Lombardy poplars. I have great memories of sitting high in a willow tree and swaying in the wind. I am too old now to sway in the wind at the top of a willow tree, but this is my cozy pillow at the base of the tree, with its branches enclosing me in my own little hideaway.

Name:
Location: Barnwell, South Carolina, United States

I have been a Bible-believing Christian as long as I can remember. My parents were missionaries to Argentina, where I grew up. My husband and I were missionaries in Central America, where two of our four children were born (one in Costa Rica, and one in Nicaragua). The other two were born in the U.S. during pastorates in Florida and Texas with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. I am a registered nurse, working full time in a hospital setting. I enjoy working with people, but I also treasure the times when I can be alone.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Eternity's values

I am a Registered Nurse at our local hospital, and this was a very interesting day.

It started out with a bang;

I discover I am the only nurse assigned to my unit, with two patients, one of whom was getting sicker instead of better
> Call for more help
* Lord, I need help! but don't let me panic.

A new IV needs to be started
> Reassure the patient, and give it a try
* Lord - please help me do it on the first stick - I don't want to poke him over and over!
> Request another nurse's help -- I am unable to start one
* Lord, don't let me be so proud that I keep hurting him, just so I can say "I did it!"

Doctors show up and start giving orders
> Follow orders carefully - no slip-ups, PLEASE
* Lord, help me concentrate.

Family members keep arriving, congregating in the crowded room
> Answer questions politely, help to calm fears
* Lord! Let them see a gentle, patient spirit
> Try to work around them - there are so many, and they don't seem to understand that they are in the way
* Lord, give me patience and grace.

Time for routine meds
> Be sure the right patient gets the right dose of the right med at the right time by the right route
* Lord, keep me focused.

Changes keep happening in his condition
> Assess each change, notify the doctor, treat as required
* Lord, keep my mind alert, help me see what needs to be noticed.

Patient is going to be transferred to another hospital
> Call the nurse there, and give report
* Lord, help me to think of everything I need to tell her so she can continue his care "seamlessly."

Ambulance personnel are here
> Give the paramedic report so that he also will know what is going on as they care for him
* Lord, he is out the door. Thank You! And thank You that Patient #2 did well this morning and didn't demand a lot of time. Now help me care for her.

And that was just the first four hours of a 12-hour shift!
The remaining hours were so much quieter.
Sometimes, though, I am not so aware of my need for Him when things are going smoothly. But cleaning equipment, count stock items, doing routine paperwork are all part of my job, and it is just as important to do these "with Eternity's values in view" as it is to do the "big" jobs.
Reminds me of a chorus we sang in High School:

With Eternity's values in view, Lord,
With Eternity's values in view.
May I do each day's work for Jesus,
With Eternity's values in view.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn Penguin said...

The world needs more nurses like you!!

I found you via my brother's blog ("The Once and Future Catholic") where you left a comment on his Genesis story. He has always been a talented writer and I'm glad he's started a blog.

God bless you!

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home