Under the Willow Tree

When I was young, I lived in the small town of Huacalera, high in the Andes Mountains of Argentina, where the only large trees were weeping willows and Lombardy poplars. I have great memories of sitting high in a willow tree and swaying in the wind. I am too old now to sway in the wind at the top of a willow tree, but this is my cozy pillow at the base of the tree, with its branches enclosing me in my own little hideaway.

Name:
Location: Barnwell, South Carolina, United States

I have been a Bible-believing Christian as long as I can remember. My parents were missionaries to Argentina, where I grew up. My husband and I were missionaries in Central America, where two of our four children were born (one in Costa Rica, and one in Nicaragua). The other two were born in the U.S. during pastorates in Florida and Texas with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. I am a registered nurse, working full time in a hospital setting. I enjoy working with people, but I also treasure the times when I can be alone.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Thinking of Dad

Daddy has been in Heaven 5 years now -- and I have been thinking about him a lot the last few days. 
He was such a great father. 
One of my earliest memories is the day he shaved off his beautiful mustache!  My heart was broken!  My daddy was so handsome, and it was awful for him to get rid of that mustache!  :)
Another is tooling around town on a Vespa scooter, standing in front of him on the foot space!  Oh - that was exciting!  How old was I -- 4 or 5?
When I was between 8 and 12 years old, in Huacalera, even though he sometimes had to be away for two or three weeks at a time (on missionary trips up into the Andes mountains), we knew that when he came home, he would be sure to make time for us kids.  I cannot begin to list all the great memories I have of him. 
Daddy always had a great sense of humor, and he loved a good joke, but I never, NEVER ONCE, heard him tell or enjoy a joke that was dirty or that was hurtful to someone else.  But, boy!  could he laugh!  Just get him started.
As far back as I can remember, Daddy had two loves.
The first - always the first - was God.  God was the most important person in Dad's life, beginning from the day that he gave his life to Jesus back in 1934.  His first desire was to glorify Him and to serve Him completely.
The second love of his life was my Mom!  She was "his girl" and we knew it.  Their life together was such an example.  He devoted himself to making her happy.
Daddy and Mom served the Lord as missionaries for over 33 years, in northwestern Argentina.  They "retired" in 1981, but Daddy kept working for the mission until 1991, when he truly retired.
During all his years, Dad kept his mind sharp by continuing to study and to learn.  During his retirement years, among other things, he learned to oil paint, he continued his years-long hobby of bird watching, and he wrote a book! 
At the end of his life, I heard him say again, as he had many times before, "I have had a great life.  If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change one thing." 
He went to Heaven on July 9, 1999, Independence Day in Argentina!  Boy, I miss him.  I wish I could get with him on the phone one more time.  Being with him was always a treat for me.
I love you, Daddy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home